On this page you’ll find an overview of the car registration renewal process in West Virginia.
Learn about aspects of your car registration and renewal options including:
- Fees, forms, and links.
- Methods of renewing your registration.
- Renewal Reminders.
- Grace periods for expired tags.
- Types of renewal terms.
What do I Need to Renew my Car Tags?
No matter which method you choose to renew your vehicle registration, here is the information and items you’ll want to have on hand:
- Your current registration card.
- Your registration renewal notice, if applicable.
- Your license plate number.
- Your VIN.
- Your driver’s license number.
- Your address.
- Payment for your renewal fees.
The West Virginia DMV will also notify you if you need to complete any of the following before you process your renewal:
- Smog checks or emissions inspections.
- Vehicle safety inspections.
- VIN verifications.
If you’ve moved, it’s also a good idea to process your DMV address change before it’s time to renew your registration. Otherwise, you may have to visit your local DMV office to complete the renewal before your registration expires.
Where to Renew West Virginia Vehicle Registration
Depending on the type of vehicle you have, you have the option to renew your registration:
- Through the West Virginia DMV.
- With an authorized third-party.
If you decide to renew your registration with an authorized DMV partner, you’ll typically have to pay an extra processing fee, but these services often get your registration processed more quickly and take some of the hassle out of the transaction.
How to Renew Car Registration in West Virginia
In West Virginia, your options for renewing your vehicle registration include:
- In person at your nearest DMV regional office, or at your local county sheriff’s office in some places.
- Through the mail.
When Will I Receive my New Tags?
After you renew your registration by mail or online, your updated registration tags will be sent out in the mail.
After you pay for the renewal, you’ll receive a receipt, which can be used as proof of valid registration until your updated documents get there.
Typically, you can expect to receive your new license plate stickers and registration card within about 10 days to a few weeks.
You can contact the West Virginia DMV to check on the status of your registration renewal.
How Much is a West Virginia Car Registration Renewal?
Your registration fees will depend on the a few different factors including:
- The type of vehicle and its intended use.
- The gross vehicle weight rating.
- Whether or not it is an electric vehicle.
- The type of license plates you have.
- The registration term you’ve applied for.
- Local taxes and fees.
- Late fees for lapsed registrations.
Registration fees can go down over time as your vehicle gets older.
Please refer to your registration notice or the West Virginia fee chart through the official link below.
Vehicle Registration & Car Insurance
You need to make sure your car is properly insured to avoid having your registration cancelled.
If it’s time to renew your registration, it’s also a good time to compare car insurance quotes.
Comparing quotes throughout the year can help you save money.
You can switch your policy at any time, and there is no penalty for changing providers.
Official West Virginia DMV Registration Renewal Links & Forms
For official information and resources to renew your West Virginia car registration, please visit the following link: https://transportation.wv.gov/dmv/Pages/default.aspx