Practice Test Instructions:
- Choose the best answer and receive instant feedback.
- Click next to go to the next question.
- Check your results at the end.
- Start a new version and keep studying!
Each test contains questions based on information in the official driver's handbook.
Good luck - PuedoManejar.com!
Want to Pass Your DMV Written Test the First Time?
Get Your Study Guide and Pass the Written Exam!
✔Over 97% of customers pass the first time
✔Study on your computer, phone, or tablet
✔100% money back guarantee if you don't pass
Get Your Written Test Study Guide!
|Your Total Score|
PuedoManejar.com! - Free DMV Practice Tests & So Much More
Want to Pass Your DMV Written Test the First Time?
Get Your Study Guide!
Find more free DMV practice tests from PuedoManejar.com to help you pass your real exams!
Pass the written test for your South Dakota driver’s license the first time! Use this free practice test to help you prepare.
Ready to test your knowledge? Take the South Dakota DMV permit practice test.
SD DPS Sample Test Questions
Use these sample questions in addition to the South Dakota DPS practice test above to study for your driver’s license written exam. These questions are based on information you can find in your official driver’s handbook.
1. A traffic signal with a flashing yellow arrow means that you should:
- Slow down and proceed through the intersection.
- Come to a complete stop because the light will change to a red arrow.
- Make a protected left turn.
- Yield to oncoming traffic and pedestrians before making a left turn.
2. The maximum legal speed limit on a rural interstate highway is:
- 55 mph.
- 65 mph.
- 75 mph.
- 90 mph.
3. Your first response to reduced visibility should be:
- Reduce your speed.
- Turn on your high beam headlights.
- Turn on your fog lights.
- Turn off your headlights.
4. Your field of vision is:
- The area directly in front of you, excluding what you can see in your peripheral vision.
- Increased as your speed increases.
- Reduced as your speed increases.
- The areas around your vehicle you can see in your mirrors.
5. Before entering your vehicle:
- Lift the hood to check the engine.
- Do a visual inspection and check for any obstacles.
- Make sure your spare tire is visible.
- Put both your headphones in and turn on your music.
Please refer to the section below to find the answers to the sample questions above.
SD DPS Written Test Answers
Check your answers below to see how you did. Click through to find an explanation for each topic. Remember to read through your driver’s handbook to gain an understanding of each topic that may show up on the official exam.
1. A traffic signal with a flashing yellow arrow means that you should: D. Yield to oncoming traffic and pedestrians before making a left turn.
3. Your first response to reduced visibility should be: A. Reduce your speed.
4. Your field of vision is: C. Reduced as your speed increases.
5. Before entering your vehicle: B. Do a visual inspection and check for any obstacles.
South Dakota Driver’s Manual
Here’s what you’ll find in the South Dakota driver manual:
- Obtaining a license.
- Rules of the road.
- Tips for driving safely.
- Sharing the road.
- Dealing with emergencies.
DMV Written Test Requirements of South Dakota
There are 25 questions on the DMV written test in South Dakota. You must answer at least 20 questions correctly to pass the test.
The test is based on the information you can find in the driver’s manual.
After Passing the Written Exam
If you are at least 18 years old, you can take the driving test and get your standard driver’s license after passing the written test.
If you are under 18 years of age, you will have to meet the learning permit requirements before you can take a road test.
South Dakota Driver’s License & Testing FAQs
Check out the FAQs below to find answers to common questions about getting your driver’s license and taking your written test.
What is the minimum age to obtain a learner permit in South Dakota?
You must be at least 14 years old to qualify for a learner permit.
How long do you have to have a learner’s permit for if you are under 18?
If you get a permit at the age of 14, you will have to keep it for at least for 90 days if you take a driver education course or 180 days if you do not. After that, you will qualify for a restricted minor’s permit.
How many questions are on the written test in SD?
There are 25 multiple-choice questions and true / false questions on the written driver’s license test.
Learn more: How many questions are on the written test?
How many correct questions do you need to get?
You must answer 20 of the 25 questions correctly to pass the exam (80%).
What happens if you fail the written test?
If you fail your test, you will have to wait at least one day to take it again. If you do not pass after 3 attempts you will have to pay the application fee again.
How old must you be to apply for a driver’s license in South Dakota?
You must be at least 16 years old and meet the instruction permit requirements before you can obtain a full operator license.
If you are at least 18 years old, you can obtain a full license after passing all SD DMV tests.