Practice Test Instructions:
- Choose the best answer and receive instant feedback.
- Click next to go to the next question.
- Check your results at the end.
- Start a new version and keep studying!
Each test contains questions based on information in the official driver's handbook.
Good luck - PuedoManejar.com!
Want to Pass Your DMV Written Test the First Time?
Get Your Study Guide and Pass the Written Exam!
✔Over 97% of customers pass the first time
✔Study on your computer, phone, or tablet
✔100% money back guarantee if you don't pass
Get Your Written Test Study Guide!
|Your Total Score|
PuedoManejar.com! - Free DMV Practice Tests & So Much More
Want to Pass Your DMV Written Test the First Time?
Get Your Study Guide!
Find more free DMV practice tests from PuedoManejar.com to help you pass your real exams!
Examen de Manejo New York en Español
Pass the permit test for your New York driver’s license the first time! Use this free practice test to help you prepare.
Ready to test your knowledge? Take the New York DMV permit practice test.
NY DMV Sample Test Questions
Use these sample questions in addition to the New York State DMV practice test above to study for your driver’s license written exam. These questions are based on information you can find in your official driver’s handbook.
1. If a school bus is stopped and has its red lights flashing, you must:
- Stop and then proceed as long as you don’t see any children.
- Stop until the red lights are done flashing.
- Slow down to 15 mph.
- Pass the school bus on the right.
2. If you damage an unattended vehicle you must:
- Leave the scene immediately.
- Find the owner or leave a note.
- Call your insurance company.
- Call a tow truck to have the vehicle moved.
3. The extra space in front of a large truck is needed for:
- Motorcycles to ride in between trucks and cars.
- The truck to speed up.
- The truck driver to have enough room to stop.
4. The headlights must be turned on:
- 30 minutes after sunset until 30 minutes before sunrise.
- 30 minutes before sunset until 30 minutes after sunrise.
- 30 minutes after sunset until 30 minutes after sunrise.
- 30 minutes before sunset until 30 minutes before sunrise.
5. When approaching a curve the best thing to do is:
- Slow down before you enter the curve.
- Speed up before you enter the curve.
- To always take the curve at 25 mph.
- Turn on your hazard lights.
Please refer to the section below to find the answers to the sample questions above.
NY DMV Written Test Answers
Check your answers below to see how you did. Click through to find an explanation for each topic. Remember to read through your driver’s handbook to gain an understanding of each topic that may show up on the official exam.
1. If a school bus is stopped and has its red lights flashing, you must: B. Stop until the red lights are done flashing.
2. If you damage an unattended vehicle you must: B. Find the owner or leave a note.
3. The extra space in front of a large truck is needed for: D. The truck driver to have enough room to stop.
4. The headlights must be turned on: A. 30 minutes after sunset until 30 minutes before sunrise.
5. When approaching a curve the best thing to do is: A. Slow down before you enter the curve.
Continue studying for your New York knowledge test with more free DMV practice tests and explanations in our DMV written test question and answers section.
New York Driver’s Manual
Here’s what you’ll find in the NY driver handbook:
- Traffic controls and signals.
- Intersections and turns.
- Passing other vehicles.
- Parking parallel.
- Driving defensively.
- Alcohol and other drug laws.
- Special driving conditions.
- Sharing the road.
- What to do in a traffic accident.
- Road signs.
New York DMV Written Test Requirements
The New York DMV test for your driver’s license has a total of 20 multiple-choice questions.
To pass the test, you will need to get 14 of the correct 20 (70%). In order to pass, you will also have to answer at least 2 of the 4 questions about the traffic signs correctly.
Multiple-choice questions are based on the information in the New York driver’s manual.
Once you pass the NYS permit test, you will receive a learner’s permit that is valid for up to 5 years – depending on your date of birth and when you applied for the permit. The expiration date with the transfer to your first driver’s license once you receive it.
If you fail the test, do not worry, you can take it again. There is no fee to take the test again and you can take as many times as you need to pass.
After Passing the Written Exam in New York
After passing the written test and receiving your New York learner’s permit, you can practice driving to prepare for your driving test.
With your student’s permit, you must obey the following restrictions:
- You must be accompanied by a licensed driver who is at least 21 years old.
- You cannot drive in any street within a park in New York City.
- You cannot drive on any bridge or tunnel under the jurisdiction of the Tri-Borough Bridge and Tunnel Authority.
- You cannot drive in Cross County, Hutchinson River, Saw Mill River, or Taconic State parkways.
- You cannot drive in a DMV road test area.
With your permit, you will also need to complete a driver’s pre-license or education course.
After you meet the requirements of the New York student permit, you can take your driving test and get your driver’s license.
Learn more about getting a New York learner’s permit.
New York Driver’s License & Testing FAQs
Check out the FAQs below to find answers to common questions about getting your driver’s license and taking your written test.
What is the minimum age to obtain a learning permit in New York?
You must be at least 16 years old to apply for a learner’s permit with the New York DMV.
How long do you have to have a learner’s permit for if you are under 18?
If you are under 18, you will have to keep your learner’s permit for at least 6 months.
After 6 months you can schedule and take your road test to get your full driver’s license.
How many questions are on the permit test in NY?
There are 20 questions on the written test. All of them are based on the information found in the driver’s manual.
The number of questions on the online permit test in NY is 50.
What do you need to pass the NY permit test?
You will need to get 14 of the 20 correct questions to pass the written test of the New York DMV.
In addition, you will also have to get 2 of the 4 questions about the correct traffic signs to pass.
What happens if you fail the written test?
If you fail the written test in New York, you will have to take it again. There are no additional charges, penalties or restrictions to retake the written test.
Is the permit test hard in NY?
All of the questions and answers on the official NY permit test can be found in the driver’s manual.
If you take the time to study and prepare, you should have no problem passing.
Your chances of passing will be higher the more time you spend learning the material.
Be sure to read through the NY State Driver’s Manual and take free DMV practice tests to help you prepare.
Can you take the permit test online at home in New York?
The New York Department of Motor Vehicles allows you the option of taking the official permit test online or at a DMV office.
In order to take the NYS permit test online, you’ll need to:
- Have a computer with a webcam enabled and allow DMV to access the webcam.
- Be seated in an area where you are clearly visible.
- Be taking the test on your own.
- Begin your application and upload the necessary identification and residency documents.
The online permit test will take about 30 to 40 minutes to finish.
There are 50 questions on the online exam compared to 20 questions on the in-person exam.
If you fail, you’ll be able to try again after 6 hours.
In order to pass the online permit test, you’ll need:
- 80% correct overall.
- 50% correct on road signs questions.
You can get more practice here:
How old must you be to apply for a driver’s license in New York?
You must be at least 16 and a half years old to qualify for a driver’s license. You must be at least 18 years of age to receive a senior license.
Learn more about getting a driver’s license in New York.
What are the driving restrictions for a graduated driver’s license (GDL) or a provisional license?
Regardless of your age, you will face a probationary period with your New driver’s license
During the first six months of holding your license, you will receive a 60-day suspension if you are convicted of speeding, racing, reckless driving, following too closely, using a mobile phone while driving, using an MP3 player while driving, or any 2 moving violations.
After your suspension is over, you will face another 6-month trial period.