Practice Test Instructions:
- Choose the best answer and receive instant feedback.
- Click next to go to the next question.
- Check your results at the end.
- Start a new version and keep studying!
Each test contains questions based on information in the official driver's handbook.
Good luck - PuedoManejar.com!
Want to Pass Your DMV Written Test the First Time?
Get Your Study Guide and Pass the Written Exam!
✔Over 97% of customers pass the first time
✔Study on your computer, phone, or tablet
✔100% money back guarantee if you don't pass
Get Your Written Test Study Guide!
|Your Total Score|
PuedoManejar.com! - Free DMV Practice Tests & So Much More
Want to Pass Your DMV Written Test the First Time?
Get Your Study Guide!
Find more free DMV practice tests from PuedoManejar.com to help you pass your real exams!
Pass the written test for your New Jersey driver’s license the first time! Use this free practice test to help you prepare.
Ready to test your knowledge? Take the New Jersey DMV permit practice test.
NJ DMV Sample Test Questions
Use these sample questions in addition to the New Jersey DMV practice test above to study for your driver’s license written exam. These questions are based on information you can find in your official driver’s handbook.
1. Anytime you change lanes, enter a highway, or merge with traffic you need a gap of at least:
- 2 seconds.
- 3 seconds.
- 4 seconds.
- 5 seconds.
2. When the foot brake is pressed, which light must come on?
- Emergency flashers.
- Brake lights.
- Tail lights.
3. What is the speed limit while driving in an alley?
- 10 mph.
- 15 mph.
- 20 mph.
- 25 mph.
4. Weaving in and out of traffic:
- Causes traffic to be slower and can increase the risk of a collision.
- Will allow you to beat the traffic.
- Should only be done when you are in a hurry.
- Is okay for faster vehicles.
5. To avoid last minute moves, you should:
- Always drive under the speed limit.
- Check your rearview mirror.
- Scan 10-15 seconds ahead of your vehicle.
- Always drive in the right lane.
Please refer to the section below to find the answers to the sample questions above.
NJ DMV Written Test Answers
Check your answers below to see how you did. Click through to find an explanation for each topic. Remember to read through your driver’s handbook to gain an understanding of each topic that may show up on the official exam.
2. When the foot brake is pressed, which light must come on? C. Brake lights.
3. What is the speed limit while driving in an alley? B. 15 mph.
4. Weaving in and out of traffic: A. Causes traffic to be slower and can increase the risk of a collision.
5. To avoid last minute moves, you should: C. Scan 10-15 seconds ahead of your vehicle.
New Jersey Driver’s Manual
Here’s what you’ll find in the NJ Driver Handbook:
- The New Jersey driver license system.
- Test requirements.
- Driver responsibility and insurance.
- Safe driving rules and regulations.
- Driving defensively.
- Alcohol and drugs.
- Sharing the road with other drivers.
New Jersey DMV Written Test Requirements
The New Jersey written knowledge test contains questions about traffic laws, rules and regulations. All questions are based on the information found in the driver’s manual, all of which can be studied and practiced using our free practice tests.
There are a total of 50 multiple choice questions. To pass you will need to get at least 40 correct questions (80%).
You will take the written test using a computer in the NJ MVC office and you will receive your results immediately after it ends.
After Passing the Written Exam
After passing the written test, you will be eligible to receive a student permission or an exam permit depending on your age. The time required to hold each permit will also vary depending on your age.
While you have a learner’s permit, you can practice driving with a licensed adult who is at least 21 years old. You can use this time to prepare for your MVC road test.
New Jersey Driver’s License & Testing FAQs
Check out the FAQs below to find answers to common questions about getting your driver’s license and taking your written test.
What is the minimum age to obtain a learner’s permit in New Jersey?
You must be at least 16 years of age to obtain a learner’s permit to begin supervised driving in New Jersey.
How many questions are on the written test?
There are a total of 50 questions on the New Jersey driver’s license test. All questions are based on the information found in the driver’s manual.
Learn more: How many questions are on the written test?
How many correct questions do you need to get to pass the test?
In order to pass the written test you will have to answer at least 40 questions correctly (80%).
How old must you be to apply for a driver’s license in New Jersey?
You must be at least 17 years old to qualify for a probationary driver’s license.
Once you are at least 18 years old and have completed your probationary driving requirements you will be eligible for a standard unrestricted driver’s license.
What are the driving restrictions for a graduated driver’s license (GDL) or a provisional license?
If you are under 21 years of age, you must show a reflective sticker on both plates and you cannot drive between 11 pm and 5 am.
Only parents, guardians or children are allowed as passengers.
Only one additional passenger is allowed unless the driver is accompanied by a parent or guardian.
You cannot use a cell phone or any other portable device while driving.
You must wear a seat belt at all times.