For the Real IA MVD Written Test:
- How Many Questions:35
- How Many Correct Answers to Pass:28
- Passing Score:80%
Iowa MVD Driver’s License Practice Test Instructions:
Select number of practice questions:
- Choose the best answer and receive instant feedback.
- Click next to go to the next question.
- Check your results at the end.
- Start a new version and keep studying!
Each test contains questions based on information in the official driver’s handbook for 2023.
Good luck – PuedoManejar.com!
Your Total Score:
PuedoManejar.com! – Free DMV Practice Tests & So Much More
Find more free DMV practice tests from PuedoManejar.com to help you pass your real exams!
Examen de Manejo Iowa en Español
Pass the written test for your Iowa driver’s license the first time! Use this free practice test to help you prepare.
Ready to test your knowledge? Take the Iowa DMV permit practice test.
IA MVD Sample Test Questions
Use these sample questions in addition to the Iowa MVD practice test above to study for your driver’s license written exam. These questions are based on information you can find in your official driver’s handbook.
1. When parking headed downhill it is best to:
- Put your vehicle in reverse, but set the parking brake.
- Turn your wheels so your vehicle will roll towards the center of the road if the brakes fail.
- Put your vehicle in neutral and set the parking brake.
- Put your vehicle in park and set the parking brake.
2. When driving on snow covered roads, you should reduce speed by:
- About 20 mph.
- About 10 mph.
- About 5 mph.
- About ½ the normal driving speed.
3. True or False: Always adjust mirrors after adjusting your seat.
4. At night, a driver should dim his headlights when an oncoming motor vehicle comes within:
- 500 feet.
- 100 feet.
- 200 feet.
- 600 feet.
5. Blind spots around a large vehicle are _____ than the blind spots around a car.
- The same.
- None of these.
Please refer to the section below to find the answers to the sample questions above.
IA MVD Written Test Answers
Check your answers below to see how you did. Click through to find an explanation for each topic. Remember to read through your driver’s handbook to gain an understanding of each topic that may show up on the official exam.
1. When parking headed downhill it is best to: D. Put your vehicle in park and set the parking brake.
2. When driving on snow covered roads, you should reduce speed by: D. About ½ the normal driving speed.
3. True or False: Always adjust mirrors after adjusting your seat. A. True.
4. At night, a driver should dim his headlights when an oncoming motor vehicle comes within: A. 500 feet.
5. Blind spots around a large vehicle are _____ than the blind spots around a car. C. Bigger.
Continue studying for your Iowa knowledge test with more free DMV practice tests and explanations in our DMV written test question and answers section.
Iowa Driver’s Handbook
Here’s what you’ll find in the IA driver’s manual:
- Driving safety.
- Road rules and traffic laws.
- Traffic signs, signs and marks.
Iowa DMV Written Test Requirements
The written Iowa driver license test has a total of 35 questions.
The questions are based on traffic laws and driving safety information that you can find in the Iowa driver’s license manual.
To pass the written exam, you will need to answer at least 28 questions correctly (80%).
After Passing the Written Test
If you are under 18 years of age, you may receive a learner’s permit after passing the written test. With your permit you can practice supervised driving to prepare for your road test.
If you are over 18 years of age, you can take the driving test after passing the written test and receiving your standard driver’s license.
Iowa Driver’s License & Testing FAQs
Check out the FAQs below to find answers to common questions about getting your driver’s license and taking your written test.
What is the minimum age to obtain a learning permit in Iowa?
You must be at least 14 years old to be eligible for a student permit in Iowa.
How long do you have to have a learner’s permit if you are under 18?
If you are under 18, you will have to keep your permit and complete supervised driving practice for at least 12 months.
What are the supervised driving requirements if you are under 18 in IA?
You must complete a total of 20 hours of supervised driving practice with at least 2 hours completed at night before moving on to your provisional driver’s license.
How many questions are on the written test in IA?
There are 35 questions on the written test for the Iowa driver’s license.
Learn more: How many questions are on the written test?
How many correct questions do you need to get in order to pass the test?
You must answer at least 28 questions correctly to pass the written exam.
How old must you be to apply for a driver’s license in Iowa?
You will be eligible for an intermediate driver’s license with restrictions when you are at least 16 years old.
A full and unrestricted driver’s license is available when you are at least 17 years old and have met the requirements of the intermediate license phase or have turned 18.
What are the driving restrictions for a graduated driver’s license (GDL) or a provisional license?
With an intermediate driver’s license in Iowa you cannot drive unsupervised between 12:30 am and 5:00 am, use a cell phone or portable electronic device while driving, and you cannot drive with more than one minor passenger who is not related to you during the first six months.