Practice Test Instructions:
- Choose the best answer and receive instant feedback.
- Click next to go to the next question.
- Check your results at the end.
- Start a new version and keep studying!
Each test contains questions based on information in the official driver's handbook.
Good luck - PuedoManejar.com!
Want to Pass Your DMV Written Test the First Time?
Get Your Study Guide and Pass the Written Exam!
✔Over 97% of customers pass the first time
✔Study on your computer, phone, or tablet
✔100% money back guarantee if you don't pass
Get Your Written Test Study Guide!
|Your Total Score|
PuedoManejar.com! - Free DMV Practice Tests & So Much More
Want to Pass Your DMV Written Test the First Time?
Get Your Study Guide!
Find more free DMV practice tests from PuedoManejar.com to help you pass your real exams!
How Does It Work?
This free practice test for your driver’s license written exam is based off information you can in almost every state’s driver’s manual.
If you want a little more practice with a practice test that’s length is similar to the DMV written test you’ll need to take, you’ve come to the right place.
Each time you take this test, you’ll get 15 random multiple choice and true/false questions.
This free practice test is based off of real information from the driver’s handbook and includes questions on topics such as:
- State traffic laws.
- Right of way.
- Driving safety.
- Traffic signals, signs, and road markings.
If you study with this general practice driver’s test and the test for your state, you’ll be better prepared to pass the real test on your first try.
Remember to read your state’s driver’s handbook and study in manageable sessions. Before you know it, you’ll be driving on your own!
If you’re looking for your state’s driver’s manual or a free practice test with questions for your state’s driver’s test, check out our state information pages and practice tests. They’ll contain everything you need to know to pass your driver’s test and the next steps you’ll need to take to get your license.
Select your State to Ace your Exam!
Don’t be nervous about the DMV written exam. Once you familiarize yourself with the traffic rules and safety laws in the driver handbook, the answers to the written exam will come naturally.
Good luck! Study hard!
About the Official DMV Test
In order to get your driver’s license, you’ll first need to pass the DMV written exam.
This applies to new drivers applying for their first license as well as licensed drivers who are moving to a new state.
Depending on your state, the driver’s license test will contain anywhere from 20 to 50 questions that are based on information you’ll find in these free practice tests and the official driver’s handbook from your state DMV.
Questions are generally true/false or multiple choice format.
In most states, you’ll need a score of at least 80% to pass.
Be sure to spend the time studying your driver’s handbook and preparing for the test so you can pass on your first try!
DMV Sample Test Questions
Use these sample questions in addition to the DMV practice test above to study for your driver’s license written exam.
These questions are based on information you can find in your official driver’s handbook.
1. Hydroplaning is usually caused by:
- Oil on the road.
- Worn out brakes.
- Excessive speed.
- Too low speed.
2. When it is raining, you should use your:
- Emergency brake.
- Fog lights.
- Low beam headlights.
- High beam headlights.
3. It is against the law to enter an intersection when:
- There is an emergency vehicle behind you.
- Cars are turning left.
- You cannot make it across before the light changes to red.
- Pedestrians are at any corner.
4. Reversible lanes are designated by:
- Double broken white lines.
- Single broken white lines.
- Single broken yellow lines.
- Double broken yellow lines.
5. What are the colors of a sign which tells you the distance to the next exit of a highway?
6. You may park or stop along the shoulder of the freeway:
- In an emergency.
- Under no circumstances.
- At any time.
- To take a break.
7. It is illegal to drive with a blood alcohol concentration of:
8. When you see livestock near the roadway, you should:
- Come to a complete stop until you cannot see the animals any more.
- Honk or yell to get the animals to move.
- Speed up to get past quickly.
- Slow down and proceed with caution.
9. A three point turnabout:
- Can be used to turn around on narrow streets.
- Can be used at intersections where u-turns are not allowed.
- Is useful on one-way streets.
- Is illegal.
10. If a traffic signal is out of order, you should:
- Treat the intersection like a 4-way stop.
- Slow down as you enter the intersection.
- Stop until the traffic light starts working again.
- Find an alternate route.
11. Parking is not allowed:
- In a crosswalk.
- Blocking a driveway.
- In front of a fire hydrant.
- In any of these places.
12. Sudden wind gusts on highways:
- Can cause large vehicles to drift.
- Can cause all vehicles to drift.
- Can make it difficult to see.
- All of these.
13. If you have a tire blowout when driving on the highway, you should not use your brakes until:
- You have exited the freeway.
- You are in the rightmost lane.
- The vehicle has almost slowed to a stop.
- You are driving at 55 mph.
14. A red arrow at an intersection indicates that:
- Drivers cannot make a turn at the intersection at any time.
- Drivers making a turn must first come to a stop and then proceed.
- Drivers waiting to turn must come to a complete stop and wait for the signal to change.
- Drivers are able to make an unprotected turn.
15. When can you pass a vehicle on the right?
- On one-lane roads.
- On multilane roads.
- In a roundabout.
- On two-lane highways with a lane in each direction.
16. An uncontrolled railroad crossing usually has a speed limit of:
- 5 mph.
- 10 mph.
- 15 mph.
- 25 mph.
17. Drivers are to yield the right of way to pedestrians:
- Only at intersections.
- All the time.
- Only if there is a crosswalk.
- Only if the pedestrian has a walk sign.
18. How many feet can you travel in a left turn center lane?
19. What can happen if you dump or abandon an animal by the roadside?
- A fine of $1,000.
- Up to 6 months in jail.
- Both a fine and jail time.
20. A broken yellow centerline means that:
- You can pass on the left if there is no traffic coming from the opposite direction.
- You can pass on the right if there is no traffic coming from the opposite direction.
- You may not pass under any circumstances.
- You can only pass if there is also a road sign that allows it.
Please refer to the section below to find the answers to the sample questions above.
DMV Written Test Answers
Check your answers below to see how you did. Click through to find an explanation for each topic. Remember to read through your driver’s handbook to gain an understanding of each topic that may show up on the official exam.
1. Hydroplaning is usually caused by: C. Excessive speed.
2. When it is raining, you should use your: C. Low beam headlights.
3. It is against the law to enter an intersection when: C. You cannot make it across before the light changes to red.
4. Reversible lanes are designated by: D. Double broken yellow lines.
6. You may park or stop along the shoulder of the freeway: A. In an emergency.
8. When you see livestock near the roadway, you should: D. Slow down and proceed with caution.
9. A three point turnabout: A. Can be used to turn around on narrow streets.
10. If a traffic signal is out of order, you should: A. Treat the intersection like a 4-way stop.
11. Parking is not allowed: D. In any of these places.
12. Sudden wind gusts on highways: D. All of these.
13. If you have a tire blowout when driving on the highway, you should not use your brakes until: C. The vehicle has almost slowed to a stop.
14. A red arrow at an intersection indicates that: C. Drivers waiting to turn must come to a complete stop and wait for the signal to change.
15. When can you pass a vehicle on the right? B. On multilane roads.
17. Drivers are to yield the right of way to pedestrians: B. All the time.
19. What can happen if you dump or abandon an animal by the roadside? D. Both a fine and jail time.
20. A broken yellow centerline means that: A. You can pass on the left if there is no traffic coming from the opposite direction.