Practice Test Instructions:
- Choose the best answer and receive instant feedback.
- Click next to go to the next question.
- Check your results at the end.
- Start a new version and keep studying!
Each test contains questions based on information in the official driver's handbook.
Good luck - PuedoManejar.com!
Want to Pass Your CDL Test the First Time?
Get Your Study Guide and Pass Your Written Exam!
Get Your CDL Study Guide!
|Your Total Score|
PuedoManejar.com! - Free DMV Practice Tests & So Much More
Want to Pass Your CDL Test the First Time?
Get Your Study Guide!
Find more free DMV practice tests from PuedoManejar.com to help you pass your real exams!
This California CDL practice test includes multiple-choice questions based on information in the official commercial driver’s license handbook.
You’ll receive instant feedback after each question and answer. And you can restart the quiz or refresh the page for a completely new version. Take as many practice tests as you need to!
PuedoManejar.com has everything you need to study and prepare for your CA commercial drivers license tests. You’ll find free practice tests for Class A, Class B, and Class C CDLs as well as all of the CDL endorsements you can add to your license.
About the California Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) Tests
All of the information on the California CDL knowledge exam come from the official California CDL manual.
You can find the official copy from the California DMV here: Download California Commercial Driver’s License Handbook
The knowledge tests you’ll need to take and pass depend on the Class of CDL you are applying for and the endorsements you plan to get.
At the very least, all CDL applicants in California will need to pass the CDL general knowledge exam, which is based on Sections 1 through Section 3 in the CDL manual.
You’ll be tested on questions about:
- General Trucking Knowledge.
- Driving a Commercial Vehicle Safely.
- Transporting Cargo Safely.
Here’s what you need to know about the California CDL general knowledge exam:
- There are a total of 50 questions.
- There is a time limit of 60 minutes to take the test.
- You must get a score of 80% or 40 correct answers to pass.
Which California CDL tests do you need to pass?
The CDL knowledge tests you need to take in California depend on which Class of CDL you’re applying for and which endorsements you need. The CDL written tests you may need to take include:
- General knowledge test for all applicants.
- The air brakes test if you want to operate a commercial vehicle equipped with an air brake system.
- The combination vehicles test if you want to drive combination vehicles (i.e. CDL Class A and commercial vehicles pulling trailers).
- The passenger vehicles test if you plan to drive a bus.
- The school bus test if you plan to drive a school bus.
- The doubles/triples test if you plan to drive combination vehicles with two or more trailers.
- The tanker test if you plan to transport liquid or gas cargo.
- The hazardous materials test if you plan to transport hazmat cargo.
- Take a free HazMat practice test.
If you plan on taking multiple CDL knowledge and endorsement tests on the same day, you should plan to give yourself at least 2 to 3 hours to take the tests.
How to Get a CDL in California
To be eligible for a commercial driver’s license in California, you must:
- Be a California resident.
- Be at least 18 years old to drive within California.
- Be at least 21 years old to drive interstate.
- Already hold a valid, noncommercial California driver’s license.
As part of your application, you’ll need to submit:
- A completed application for a CDL.
- Proof of your age and identity.
- Proof of your Social Security Number.
- Proof of your residency in the state.
- Certified medical examination documents and paperwork.
- Any necessary background checks.
- Payment for your Commercial Learner’s Permit application fee and testing fees.
The first step towards getting your commercial driver’s license is your California Commercial Learner’s Permit (CLP). To get the CLP you’ll need to:
- Visit the DMV.
- Submit your application, identification, residency, and medical documents, and pay the necessary fees.
- Pass a vision test.
- Pass the CDL general knowledge test and any necessary written tests for endorsements you’ll be applying for.
After you pass the tests, you’ll receive your California commercial learner’s permit.
With your learner’s permit, you’ll be able to practice driving a commercial vehicle with a supervising instructor and prepare for your road test.
You’ll be eligible to take your CDL skills test after you’ve held the CLP for at least 14 days.
You will either take your skills test through the DMV or an authorized testing facility. You’ll need to take and pass the test in the type of commercial vehicle that corresponds with your CDL Class and any endorsements.