Jump start your commercial driving career with these free CDL practice tests!
PuedoManejar.com has the information you need to get off to the right start.
CDL Practice Tests & Information by State
Which CDL Practice Tests Should I Take?
The CDL written tests you’ll need to take depend on the class of CDL you want to get and the types of endorsements you want to add.
|CDL Practice Test||Who Should Take it?||Other Tests You’ll Need|
|General Knowledge||All CDL applicants||–|
|Air Brakes||Those who want to be authorized to drive CVs equipped with air brakes.||General Knowledge|
|Combination Vehicles||Those who want to drive CVs towing a trailer.||General Knowledge, Air Brakes|
|Doubles/Triples Combinations||Those who want a T endorsement to pull 2 or 3 trailers in combination.||General Knowledge, Air Brakes, Combination Vehicles|
|Tanker Vehicles||Those who want an N endorsement to drive tanker vehicles or pull tanker trailers.||General Knowledge, Air Brakes, Combination Vehicles|
|Hazardous Material||Those who want an H endorsement to transport hazardous materials.||General Knowledge|
|Tanker/Hazardous Materials Combination||Those who want an X endorsement to transport HAZMAT in tanker vehicles.||General Knowledge, Tanker Vehicles, Hazardous Materials|
|Passenger||Those who want a P endorsement to transport passengers in commercial buses.||General Knowledge|
|School Bus||Those who want an S endorsement to drive a School Bus.||General Knowledge, Passenger|
All CDL applicants will first need to get their CLP (Commercial Learner’s Permit) by passing the General Knowledge Exam.
After that, the other tests you’ll need to take will depend on what type of CMV (Commercial Motor Vehicle) you want to drive and what kind of job you want.
For many CDL employers, the minimum tests and endorsements required include:
- General Knowledge.
- Combination Vehicles.
- Air Brakes.
If you plan to transport liquids, gasses, or hazardous materials, you’ll need to think about the following tests as well:
- Hazmat Endorsement Test.
- Tanker Vehicles Test.
To transport passengers or drive a school bus, study for:
- CDL Passenger Test.
- School Bus Endorsement Test.
Once you pass your tests, you’ll receive your CLP. This will allow you to enroll in truck driver training school in preparation for your behind-the-wheel exam.
Minimum CDL Requirements: How to Get Started
To qualify for a commercial driver’s license, you’ll need to meet the following requirements:
- Be at least 18 years old.
- Hold a valid driver’s license for the state where you are getting a CDL.
- Complete a medical exam.
- Get fingerprinted.
- Complete a CDL application and provide proof of your identity, age, legal prescense, and residency.
- Pay the application and testing fees.
- Pass the necessary knowledge exams.
- Complete CDL training.
- Pass the necessary skills tests.
Create a Road Map for your CDL Career
In addition to passing your knowledge tests, you’ll also need to pass a skills test in the appropriate commercial vehicle for the Class and Endorsement you are applying for.
3 Easy Steps to Passing Your CDL Written Tests
Step 1: Read & study the CDL Manual for your state.
Every question on your state’s CDL knowledge test will be based on information in the CDL handbook.
Step 2: Take as many free CDL practice tests as you need to.
We’ve set up our free online practice tests to be easy to use learning tools. Use our practice tests to learn and exam mode to test your knowledge.
Step 3: Schedule an appointment and visit the DMV to take your test.
After taking some of our practice tests, you’ll feel confident enough to pass the real written CDL exam on your first try. Contact your local DMV office to schedule your tests.
Even More Free Practice Tests to Get You Ready for All of Your DMV Exams!
PuedoManejar.com has the Best DMV Practice Tests You’ll Find Online
We know there’s a lot of options when it comes to preparing for your DMV written exams. Here’s why PuedoManejar.com is your best choice:
- Unlimited tests with our randomized question database. Study as much as you need to with a new version of the test each time.
- Up-to-date state-specific questions, general knowledge questions, and road signs & traffic signals.
- More resources to help you study – handbook study guides, printable cheat sheets, and printable practice tests you can take offline.
- Different test modes to help you prepare – practice tests with instant feedback and DMV exam simulations to test your knowledge.
- Practice tests for every license you may need – learner’s permits & driver’s licenses, motorcycle endorsements, and CDL & CDL endorsements.
- Complete access to completely free practice tests and study resources – everything on PuedoManejar.com is free to use. No unnecessary “premium” modes or subscription-based tests here.
Looking for more DMV driver’s license, motorcycle license, and vehicle registration resources?
Select your state below for important official DMV links and information.
You’ll also find more PuedoManejar.com resources to help you prepare for your written tests, become a safer driver, and take care of all the tasks related to owning a vehicle.